Hello 2015! I am only accepting ONE or TWO births per month, as the birth photographer and doula. Doula services are available as an addition to photography and as a stand alone service. I offer a complimentary meeting to anyone interesting in my services. Please email me if you'd like to chat! robin@birthblessingsphotography.com

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

The birth of Robin {San Diego Doula, Childbirth Educator, Birth Photographer}

{This is MY birth story. Written by my mommy Ruth Greene}


The Birth of Robin Michelle (Greene) Baker

I will begin the story of baby  Robin’s birth by giving the date of conception.  My husband was very busy in the month that we conceived leaving only one day for the conception date.  That would be Cinco De Mayo, or the 5th of May.  We had gone to a party in the park with friends that day, the evening became history. The pregnancy went off well, with no sickness, and no physical problems.  The impending due date set by my gynecologist was to be Jan 24, 1977.  The glorious day!  We anxiously awaited for its arrival, and it came and went!  Well that was fine because my husband,s birthday was the 1st of Feb. so we conceded that if the baby (back then there were no ways to tell the sex other than old wives tales and pure speculation) was to stick around we could hope for a birth on his birthday.  After his day came and went and of course the complete conviction on my part that pregnancy was a terminal illness,  I was giving up hope.  The Dr. (Dr. Ira Friedman) also continued to try and convince me that the baby was small, (my other births were, 6lbs 3oz, and 6lbs 13oz) I of course said “NO WAY” this baby is huge!  I felt her every movement. We could see imprints of her feet roll across my belly.  


On the 7th of Feb, I had a Dr. apt. At this time they were weekly.  So around 11:00am or so I went in for my check up, and my wonderful Dr. told me I was having labor contractions.  Ha Ha Ha, I laughed!  Really Doc what are you going to do?  This baby has to come out, I am so uncomfortable.  His response, quite succinctly, was “you are in labor!”  Now I know he is “the mad” Doctor!   I am feeling nothing!  He assures me I am in labor, tells me to pick up some concoction of castrol oil and orange juice take a little, and call him in a couple of hours.  Ok, so I go to the pharmacy, get the poo juice, take it and go home and go about my business.   My mother was visiting from FL to help with Robin’s sister, and she comes and tells me my Dr. is on the phone.  OH NO!  I am busted!  Still feeling nothing,  I might add.  He chews me out for not calling him, and tells me that he wants me to go to the hospital right away!  No use arguing with him, although I did try.  He would hear nothing of it. So off we go.  
  

I finally arrive at the hospital (San Fernando Valley Presbyterian), the nurses have been told to put me on the monitors and check me out and then report their findings.  OHHHH, the nurse says, are you not feeling those?  “Nope!  Don’t feel a thing!  Maybe a little braxton hicks contractions, but nothing that will deliver a baby.”  Now things get interesting, Doctor tells them to admit me after midnight, (nice Doc, don’t have to pay for 2 days) put her in a room and keep an eye on her.  I guess I was that kind of patient (laughing as I write)!  My husband and I proceed to watch TV with the nurses, walk the halls, and me curse a lot, cause I was stuck in the hospital.   The very first thing that I felt was an urge to visit the bathroom.  I just got settled down on the seat, when I felt like someone had punched the air out of me.  OMG, the urge to push!!!  I couldn’t even talk, the words came out in a whisper.  Trying to tell my husband over and over, get the nurses, get them quick.  He wasn’t getting it, then finally seeing my distress ran for the nurse station.  It took three of them to get me off the toilet and onto a bed, call the Dr., and assess my situation.  Baby was descending the canal, and all hell was breaking loose.  I had the uncontrollable shakes, and they are telling me you have to wait until the Dr. gets here to push!  Now this all seems just ridiculous to me - Wait you say? Ya, right!  From the beginning of the toilet episode to her birth - drum roll -A magnificent 43 minutes!  They wheeled me to the delivery room, and we waited for my lovely Dr. to arrive.   He made it just in time!  No drugs!!!! 


When she was born, I felt the orgasm of a lifetime!  It is hard to explain, but it was there.  This happened at 1:43am on the 8th of Feb, 1977 a beautiful baby girl weighing in at 8lb 3 & ½ oz. At least I was right about her weight, almost 2 lbs bigger than my other babies.  I returned home the next morning on the 9th. The only reason we stayed in the hospital was because the night before the new parents were to go home they would give them  a steak dinner and a bottle of wine!  We had to stay for that.  True story!  


Ladies, the moral of this story is: I had textbook labors and deliveries for my other births, this birth was magnificently fast!  I felt no contractions other than a few braxton hicks, and went directly into the urge to push!  Listen to your Dr.’s or you might not make it to the hospital or birthing center. (If I had my way I would have been home) Happy Labor Day!  

And…..A great big Happy Birthday to my much loved daughter, Robin Greene Baker! (the girl with the curl in the middle of her forehead)


Love you Robin, happy Doula-ing! 
Mom

4 comments:

Taylor said...

Aww so sweet.. nice morning read

No pain?? what's going on with you two.. omg so jealous.

Happy Birthday! :)

brooke said...

So awesome...and priceless to have your birth story! How fun Robin!

Ruth said...

Happy Birthday my dear Robin, what a joy it was to witness the home birth of baby Hannah Baker, I wish for you that you that one day you will have that honor with your own daughter. The closest to the creator and the greatest experience a woman can have. Love you bunches, Mom

Ruth said...

I know this is a day early Robin, so above is meant for tomorrow! Love you