Hello 2015! I am only accepting ONE or TWO births per month, as the birth photographer and doula. Doula services are available as an addition to photography and as a stand alone service. I offer a complimentary meeting to anyone interesting in my services. Please email me if you'd like to chat! robin@birthblessingsphotography.com

Monday, April 18, 2011

Trust Birth Initiative {San Diego Doula & Bradley Method® Instructor}

I came across a neat website today. TRUST BIRTH. Do you trust birth? I do. And I support and educate families to do the same. 
Read on....excerpt from Trust Birth website.



What is the Trust Birth Initiative?
The Trust Birth Initiative is a grassroots birth advocacy and support initiative for families. It is supported by small, voluntary donations of time and money by individual mothers and fathers all around the country.

What does a Trust Birth Facilitator do?
A Trust Birth Facilitator holds Trust Birth meetings to facilitate discussions about pregnancy, birth and parenting related topics. The facilitators might also have booths at birth fairs, conventions, etc. To become a facilitator, you must first have your application approved, complete the three initial training assignments and you need to go through ongoing training assignments and conference calls. 

What are the beliefs of the Trust Birth Initiative?

What is the Mission of the Trust Birth Initiative?
We are aiming to help families realize that they are the authority, they're able to empower themselves to make informed decisions about their pregnancies and births, rather than submitting to their care providers as authorities. We want them to take their power back from care providers and use it to make healthy and empowering choices for themselves and their babies. 

Does Trust Birth have a conference to attend?
Yes! The next conference will be held in Nashville, TN at the Hotel Preston in 2012. For more information, see theTrust Birth Conference website.

Does Trust Birth think that all pregnant mothers should hire a midwife?
No, we believe that women should be "in charge" of their births, and view care providers (no matter the title) as paid consultants. We believe that women have the right to give birth with any type of care provider she chooses, even if that is no one.  

Does the Trust Birth Initiative promote Unassisted Birth (Freebirth, DIY Birth, etc.) as the best way to give birth?
No. However, we do support it as a valid choice. We believe birth is generally safe, and we do not add qualifiers to our trust in birth.

Is the Trust Birth Initiative against hospital birth or Obstetricians?
Absolutely not, we are "For" telling the truth about birth, and the truth is that Birth is safest with minimal interference, and Hospitals are not the best environment for avoiding intervention. We believe that women should be "in charge" of their births, and view care providers as paid consultants.



We recommend that you do enough research on the following topics to find out the Truth about them. We do not want to tell you what you should believe or what you should do in any particular situation. We'd rather you empower yourself by doing your own research. 
Are vaginal exams during pregnancy really necessary? 
Are there any risks associated with doppler/ultrasound scans? 
Are routine prenatal tests really necessary for me and my baby? 
Isn't home birth dangerous? What about unassisted home birth? 
Is any kind of labor induction without risk (i.e. herbal, Castor oil, acupuncture, etc)? 
Is vaginal birth after cesarean [VBAC] safe? 
Is it better to have an episotomy or to tear? 
Is Epidural anesthesia safe? 
My Baby is breech, can I still give birth vaginally? 

When exploring your options, ask questions of everything you research, such as: 
Is there any reason why [the writer] would misrepresent the facts on this topic (do they have anything to gain from it)? 
What evidence is there for or against this? 
Do the risks outweigh the benefits for me personally? 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My first child was 9 lbs. 9 ozs. I was in labor for 21 hours and my birthing experience was all natural. However, I stopped dialating at a 7, and my doctor was in a panic because the baby was already in the birth canal. They were standing by my side saying, "What are we going to do? It's too late for a C-section. The baby is going to die if we don't deliver soon..." Not exactly what you want to hear during your first birthing experience.
Basically, they tore me apart. My husband described it as WWIII. I also broke my tail bone.
I am wondering what would happen at home in a situation like this, if a woman stops dialating?

Anonymous said...

Well first of all you can’t be only 7 cm and have a baby in the birth canal. That isn’t possible. So I think she is misinformed. Understandable in the midst of labor. I hear things like this all the time. ie: a dad told me when his wife was pushing the baby out he could see the cervix.
At home what would probably have happened was first the use of many different positions, rebozo, water,etc. second, patience, third attentive monitoring of the baby, and if the baby or mom were in any danger a transfer to the hospital. Yes a 9 lb. 9 oz baby is big but not gargantuan-normal.
`Liza, Childbirth Educator

Anonymous said...

Well, it was a military hospital in a foreign country and I was not confident with their abilities in delivering my baby.
They did say the baby was in the birth canal, that I stopped dilating at a 7, and that they didn't know what they were going to do because it was too late for a c-section. My husband and a few others heard them say the same thing in their time of "panic." It was a horrible experience for me having my first baby.
I was flat on my back for 21 hours. I agree with Liza that had I been able to move around to different positions, and maybe walk a bit, it might have helped the situation to progress on it's own.
I had two other children after that (natural) and the experience was much different. I was back in the United States and midwives delivered the other two. I'm all about natural birth. The most emotional time for me in all of my experiences was when I felt the baby sliding out. I could feel the head, shoulders and body. It is amazing and something that can't be felt with an epidural or when a doctor tears you to pieces (like my first experience).
And I realize that 9lbs. 9ozs. isn't huge because my brother was a 12 lb baby.