Hello 2015! I am only accepting ONE or TWO births per month, as the birth photographer and doula. Doula services are available as an addition to photography and as a stand alone service. I offer a complimentary meeting to anyone interesting in my services. Please email me if you'd like to chat! robin@birthblessingsphotography.com

Monday, January 4, 2010

Last Night of Chanukkah

All nights this year we had this electric window display up. The tradition is to light your candles and set it in the window for all to see. Obviously that is a fire hazard for a family with 3 small children, so we don’t do that. This year I found this very childproof window menorah and although it has all 8 candles lit every time you plug it in, we enjoyed it all the same.

IMG_6196

It hung on the slider to the office, which we use as our “front door.” Notice the very organized and labeled scrapbook stuff. Too bad it can’t make scrapbooks all by itself… because this tired momma hasn’t finished a page in an entire year! So sad. Maybe I should stop blogging and start scrappin’? Nah. Both =)IMG_6195

Traditional Chanukkah food: Latkes! Yummy “potato pancakes.” We make them from scratch because there is not much that comes out of a box that tastes good. Fresh food, mmmmmmm.IMG_6390

Upon my daddy’s request, I made them extra thick. Like hamburger thick. OH MY. IMG_6391

Every year I think to myself, “why do we wait for December to make these????” They are incredible. It’s like a super duper gourmet hash brown. But 1,000x better.

Recipe HERE and other FAQ about Chanukkah.IMG_6388 IMG_6397

IMG_6400We made Lamb as our last night feast. WOW. Incredible. Those are little fresh mint leaves on top.

IMG_6402

My dad Edward Greene (aka: Greenstein) – the Jew who grew up not celebrating Judaism. I teach him everything he knows about the Bible = )

He says a yiddish prayer every year at Chanukkah that he remembers from childhood. And his favorite part “Lachiem!” (basically cheers in yiddish – but he thinks it means ‘here’s health in your bones’) IMG_6405

We were pretty toasty in the house due to the oven and fryin’ goin’ on, so we opened the slider. It got a litle windy, which produced some wax drippings. Beautiful! Even with my point and shoot.IMG_6407 IMG_6408 IMG_6409EIGHTCRAZYNIGHTS

We love Chanukkah and are sad when it ends…until next year, LACHIEM!

No comments: